Will I Ever Be Done Testing

Dear Dr. Bob:

To get to the points, 8 months ago, I have anal sex five times with an HIV-positive man. I was on the receiving end, and I simply was not thinking. He is confirmed to be HIV-positive.

I come from a wealthy family so money for testing is non-issue. For the last five months, every two weeks, I have gotten an HIV PCR and HIV ELISA test. That's make a total of 10 HIV PCR's and 10 ELISA out 8 monhts after my exposure.

Question is: when can I stop testing? It is stessing me out contantly to wait for HIV testing results.

True, receptive anal sex does carry the highest risk for HIV transmission, if unprotected. You fail to mention if you used protection or not. However, with or without protection, 10 negative PCRs and 10 negative ELISAs out to eight months are absolutely definitive and conclusive.

Your question is titled "Will I Ever Be Done Testing." Only you can answer that. Testing is always a personal decision. What I can do is tell you unequivocally that you are not HIV infected. If you have difficulty accepting your undeniable negative status, you might consider getting some counseling to help you accept this wonderful news.

Your stress is self-induced and unwarranted by the scientific facts. Get the help you need, not more tests that you don't.

Thanks =o)
donating to the cause