Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Will I Ever Be Done Testing
Nov 4, 2004

Dear Dr. Bob:

To get to the points, 8 months ago, I have anal sex five times with an HIV-positive man. I was on the receiving end, and I simply was not thinking. He is confirmed to be HIV-positive.

I come from a wealthy family so money for testing is non-issue. For the last five months, every two weeks, I have gotten an HIV PCR and HIV ELISA test. That's make a total of 10 HIV PCR's and 10 ELISA out 8 monhts after my exposure.

Question is: when can I stop testing? It is stessing me out contantly to wait for HIV testing results.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

True, receptive anal sex does carry the highest risk for HIV transmission, if unprotected. You fail to mention if you used protection or not. However, with or without protection, 10 negative PCRs and 10 negative ELISAs out to eight months are absolutely definitive and conclusive.

Your question is titled "Will I Ever Be Done Testing." Only you can answer that. Testing is always a personal decision. What I can do is tell you unequivocally that you are not HIV infected. If you have difficulty accepting your undeniable negative status, you might consider getting some counseling to help you accept this wonderful news.

Your stress is self-induced and unwarranted by the scientific facts. Get the help you need, not more tests that you don't.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thanks =o)
Next
donating to the cause

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.