Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF MY 4 YEAR OLD
Nov 4, 2004

Dear Doctor Bob I am hoping that you can help me and give me a little piece of mind. I took my son trick or treating tonight and we were having a very good time until something terrilbe happened. I am a very cautious mother and wasn't even going to go but thought he would have fun. Anyway there was this guy giving out candy and my son tried to grab it out of his hand but grabbed his thumb which he had a bandaid on. He had told me that he had just sliced his finger. I know that HIV is not spread through casual contact but is there a way that I could have endangered my son from this incident assuming that he was HIV+? Doctor Bob I am pertified that I have done something awful and I don't think that I could live with myself if I have harmed him in anyway what so ever. I think that I would do something very drastic. Anyway please let me know that you think of this scenero? Did I just put my son in danger and should I get him tested? Thank you so very much from myself and all of the other Dr. Bob fans. I love you. Oh one more question do children seroconvert differently from adults and does the disease react differently in children. Thank you so much again and much love to you and Steve.

Worried Mom in PA

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Worried Mom in PA,

I do think there is a problem here, but it has nothing to do with your son's trick or treating experience. The HIV risk from grabbing a bandaided sliced finger is nonexistent. Period. End of story. However, your comments about being a "very cautious mother . . . petrified that she has done something awful . . . who could not live with herself . . . and would do something very drastic. . ." is worrisome and indicative of a severe underlying anxiety and irrational-fear problem. For your sake and that of your four-year old son, I very strongly suggest you talk to your doctor and get a referral for counseling. This depth of paranoia and guilt definitely warrants intervention, as it often tends to resurface in response to other irrational fears. Don't delay in getting the help you need.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Black Light Special
Next
4th time asking a question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.