Freaked out by Freak

Hi Dr. Robert,

Your forum is amazing and your help is inspiring.

My question is this, you repeat "symptoms no matter what they are do not suggest hiv disease" and you are a certified immunologist.

My experience is that I had unprotected sex with a freaky girl of questionable background and the same weekend had ARS: high fever nausea (with vomiting) no appetite muscle aches confusion

no visible rash but I did have a canker sore in my mouth (another scary thing)

These to me sound like ARS and according to a MD on WEB MD are hallmark signs of ARS.

Please shed some light on this Doctor...

Sincerely,

A NH voter who supports Kerry

Hello NH voter for Kerry,

Yes, I'm a Board Certified Immunologist, but no, I did not say "symptoms no matter what they are do not SUGGEST HIV disease." What I've repeatedly said is: "Symptoms, no matter what they are, do not EQUAL HIV disease." There is a big difference between these two statements. Many worried folks with all sorts of symptoms "feel" they are HIV positive, in fact they are absolutely convinced they have HIV disease. This rarely, if ever, turns out to be the case, because symptoms "suggestive" of HIV are also "suggestive" of many, many other ailments.

If someone has placed themselves at risk for HIV, the only way to tell if they are HIV infected is to get HIV tested. It really is just that simple. Symptoms or no symptoms, it's the HIV test result that counts. I hope that not only sheds some light on any confusion, but also illuminates and clarifies the entire issue for you.

One thing that you got absolutely correct was your support for Kerry!!! Remind everyone in NH to vote wisely. And we all know wise and Dubya are polar opposites!

1st-Year Med Friend Says I Need PEP? Do I?
concerned from prtugal