The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

1st-Year Med Friend Says I Need PEP? Do I?

Nov 3, 2004

Dear Dr. Bob:

This afternoon, I visit a massage parlor, and had the following dangerous contact:

I allowed the woman working at the massage parlor to perform oral sex on me using a latex condom. Having read your archives, I will tell you that her mouth was not bleeding, my penis did not have any cuts or scrapes, and she did not have any bad dental hygiene. In addition, I did not make any other contact with her. It was just the oral sex performed on me with a latex condom.

Despite all of the information in your archive, my friend who is in his first year of Medical school insists that I must starting using a PEP therapy as a proactive measure to HIV? Please advise Dr. Bob. PEP is very expensive, and I have little money to spare on PEP. I have 48 hours left.

Response from Dr. Frascino


I'm sure your first year medical school friend means well, but unfortunately his advice is unquestionably wrong. Luckily, he still has three more years of medical school, because it appears he has much to learn.

First off, your "dangerous contact" was not really dangerous at all. Protected oral sex would not carry any risk for HIV transmission, assuming the latex condom was properly used and did not fail. PEP is definitely not warranted in this situation. Pass the word on to your medical student friend. You'll be doing him a favor!

Continue to stay safe and you'll stay well.

Dr. Bob

Freaked out by Freak

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint