1st-Year Med Friend Says I Need PEP? Do I?

Dear Dr. Bob:

This afternoon, I visit a massage parlor, and had the following dangerous contact:

I allowed the woman working at the massage parlor to perform oral sex on me using a latex condom. Having read your archives, I will tell you that her mouth was not bleeding, my penis did not have any cuts or scrapes, and she did not have any bad dental hygiene. In addition, I did not make any other contact with her. It was just the oral sex performed on me with a latex condom.

Despite all of the information in your archive, my friend who is in his first year of Medical school insists that I must starting using a PEP therapy as a proactive measure to HIV? Please advise Dr. Bob. PEP is very expensive, and I have little money to spare on PEP. I have 48 hours left.

I'm sure your first year medical school friend means well, but unfortunately his advice is unquestionably wrong. Luckily, he still has three more years of medical school, because it appears he has much to learn.

First off, your "dangerous contact" was not really dangerous at all. Protected oral sex would not carry any risk for HIV transmission, assuming the latex condom was properly used and did not fail. PEP is definitely not warranted in this situation. Pass the word on to your medical student friend. You'll be doing him a favor!

Continue to stay safe and you'll stay well.

HIV OR SOMETHING ELSE PLEASE RESPOND WE ARE VERY WORRIED
Freaked out by Freak