Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Updated question from half of a magnetic couple
Oct 27, 2004

Hi Dr. Bob:

Further to my earlier question (please see below), I forgot to mention that the next day I noticed a small open cut on the lower part of my labia. I think this may have happened later, during the intercourse.

Hi Dr. Bob:

I am an HIV woman who has been in a relationship with a HIV + man for two years. For the past nine years, my partner has had an undetectable viral load and good CD4 counts. However, this relationship has been very challenging for me because I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. I continue to work through that with the assistance of counseling and antidepressants.

During our sexual contact, we are extremely careful and always use latex condoms and lots of water-based lubricant. However, the other night after I put lubricant on his condom-covered penis and on my genitals, I wiped my hands on a towel that he had used a minute earlier to wipe the pre-ejaculate off of his penis. I then proceeded to put more lubricant on him and myself. We then had intercourse. I am now worried that I may have transferred some pre-ejaculate from the towel to my hands and then to the condom and/or my genitals. Intellectually, I realize that the risk was probably negligible, but could you please confirm that for me?

Thank you so much for being there and relating your experience as half of a magnetic couple. Youre definitely one of the good guys!

Ashlynne

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Ashlynne!

Consider your assumption "confirmed!" In fact, I'd say the HIV risk from the towel episode is nonexistent!

I'm glad you are addressing your anxiety disorder and also continuing a healthy relationship with your boyfriend. Steve and I have been together for over 11 years now, and I honestly believe there isn't a more content couple, magnetic or otherwise, on the planet. I wish you the same success and happiness.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
210 days - still negative
Next
Looking foward to AIDS walk but still stressed

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.