The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I serioulsy need your help. No health insurance. You're the only dr. I have! PLEASE!

Oct 23, 2004

I am incredibly confused and scared. I was with someone who tested indeterminate for HIV several times in a 2 month period. January through February. Then at least 6 months later he tested negative in late August. I had unprotected sex with this person in the time period he was testing inderterminate. I am curious if I should be concerned. I got tested and am awaiting results. Please help me. Thank you.

Also, how can I make a donation??

Response from Dr. Frascino


No, you have absolutely no cause for concern at all. An "indeterminate" HIV test result means the results do not meet the criteria for being positive. A follow-up test that is negative means the person is (and always has been) HIV negative. There are many potential reasons for "indeterminate" results. The important thing for you to realize is that your partner is and always has been HIV negative, and consequently could not possibly transmit HIV to you.

Although I'm sure you've probably learned this lesson well by now, I'll state it again: we must consider all our sexual contacts as possibly having HIV and consequently always take the proper precautions to prevent HIV transmission.

Donation information for my foundation can be found on the Foundation's Web site at Thanks for your interest!

Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Fifth time asked...Please help someone in REAL trouble..
My head just imploded

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint