Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

when irish eyes are crying...
Oct 22, 2004

hi, im a 25 yo irish guy, just moved to UK. Been going with a guy 5 wks now, then found out 4 days ago he's HIV positive. Had have few occasions of protective anal sex with him, bouts of rimming, and a few cases of unprotective oral sex. My concerns now lies with whether ive been infected or not. Only pre ejaculate has passed my lips and as far as im aware i had no bleeding gums or cuts inside the mouth at the time. My head is mangled. I've been having increases in armpit sweating and slight muscle irritation on my right shin from time to time - could these be symptoms of acute infection or is it too early? I got tested after two weeks of being with him, and all results were negative. Im now just sh**ing myself as to what comes next. Can you help?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Irish-Guy,

Your overall HIV risk is quite low. Protected anal sex should not pose a significant HIV risk if a latex condom was used properly and did not fail. There have been no reported cases of HIV transmission from rimming. That leaves only your "few cases of unprotected oral sex," which carries a low risk for HIV transmission. Your symptoms are not consistent with HIV. Your two-week negative test is encouraging, but you'll have to retest at three months to get a definitive result. Try not to worry too much. The odds are definitely all in your favor that Irish eyes should soon once again be smiling!

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Over and over and over
Next
Dubya & The War Within

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.