Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Used Anesthesia Needle Risk?!!!!!!
Oct 22, 2004

Dr. Bob

Thank you for taking the time to read this! Any advice from you is greatly appreciated.

My risk or concern is as follows. About 6 months ago I had an abnormal PAP smear with confirmed HPV. I was so upset, since I was a virgin before this experience and I never thought it would happen to me. My doctor had to perform a colposcopy and biopsy to determine the extent of the dysplasia. Before the procedure, the nurse came in and told me to turn around as she was going to take out the anesthesia needle from the drawer. She said that it would scare me and I should look away. Then I heard her say, "oh, this needs a new one". I think she was referring to the needle, but I don't know if she ever changed it, since everything happened so quickly. So my doc came in and performed the procedure with anesthesia on my cervix and did cryo a month later.

I decided to get an HIV test 2 months after my possible exposure since I'm in a new relationship. It came back negative. But then my paranoia and anxiety set in and I started reading about needle-exposures in dentists' offices. Such a bad idea!

1) Is there any risk that I could have contracted HIV from that anesthesia needle? Am I just being paranoid or are there cases of healthworkers forgetting to change needles? Why wouldn't they have just thrown the used needle in the sharps container after use?

2) My HIV- test was 8 weeks after this possible exposure. Should I be tested again at 3 or 6 months to be sure or is my risk non-existent? How good is a 2 month result(I know 3 mnths is conclusive, but is 2 months a good indication)?

Please help me, I'm driving all my loved ones insane. Everyone tells me my risk is non-existent, but I need to hear it from you. I've even considered calling the doctor to ask, but I'm sure they'll just put a little sign next to my name saying that i'm a loon.

I donated $50 a week ago, I know it's not much, but when I start earning the big bucks, I'll send more.

Kind Regards

Hoping my insanity is temporary

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I agree with all those who have told you your risk is nonexistent. I sincerely hope this puts an immediate end to your temporary insanity.

Thank you for your donation! It's warmly appreciated.

Feel better and remember HIV is not your concern. As Tony Soprano would say, "Fuhgeddaboutit!"

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Bob: Please stop fooling around, and answer hard questions
Next
NeuroNucleosis, EBV, Angular Cheilits

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.