Used Anesthesia Needle Risk?!!!!!!
Oct 22, 2004
Thank you for taking the time to read this! Any advice from you is greatly appreciated.
My risk or concern is as follows. About 6 months ago I had an abnormal PAP smear with confirmed HPV. I was so upset, since I was a virgin before this experience and I never thought it would happen to me. My doctor had to perform a colposcopy and biopsy to determine the extent of the dysplasia. Before the procedure, the nurse came in and told me to turn around as she was going to take out the anesthesia needle from the drawer. She said that it would scare me and I should look away. Then I heard her say, "oh, this needs a new one". I think she was referring to the needle, but I don't know if she ever changed it, since everything happened so quickly. So my doc came in and performed the procedure with anesthesia on my cervix and did cryo a month later.
I decided to get an HIV test 2 months after my possible exposure since I'm in a new relationship. It came back negative. But then my paranoia and anxiety set in and I started reading about needle-exposures in dentists' offices. Such a bad idea!
1) Is there any risk that I could have contracted HIV from that anesthesia needle? Am I just being paranoid or are there cases of healthworkers forgetting to change needles? Why wouldn't they have just thrown the used needle in the sharps container after use?
2) My HIV- test was 8 weeks after this possible exposure. Should I be tested again at 3 or 6 months to be sure or is my risk non-existent? How good is a 2 month result(I know 3 mnths is conclusive, but is 2 months a good indication)?
Please help me, I'm driving all my loved ones insane. Everyone tells me my risk is non-existent, but I need to hear it from you. I've even considered calling the doctor to ask, but I'm sure they'll just put a little sign next to my name saying that i'm a loon.
I donated $50 a week ago, I know it's not much, but when I start earning the big bucks, I'll send more.
Hoping my insanity is temporary
Response from Dr. Frascino
I agree with all those who have told you your risk is nonexistent. I sincerely hope this puts an immediate end to your temporary insanity.
Thank you for your donation! It's warmly appreciated.
Feel better and remember HIV is not your concern. As Tony Soprano would say, "Fuhgeddaboutit!"
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Blood In Urine After Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Fatigue After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Red Spots After Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Testicles After Sex With Hooker Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps After Touching Anus Worried I Have HIV
- Causative Agents Of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.