Honest Answer Regarding Urine

Dear Dr. Bob,

I have a question regarding the risk of transmission of HIV from urine. Recently, at a birthday party at a McDonald's, my child came into contact with urine in the play room. I have no idea how long the urine had been there, but it probably wasn't too long. Normally, I wouldn't be too worried, but my child chews on his fingers and usually has abrasions and broken skin on the tips of his fingers. I know that you have stated that HIV is not carried by urine, but I have read several publications on PubMed and the CDC's site that say that HIV IS found in urine and I am terrified for my child. I didn't find out about the urine until several days later when one of the other mothers told me about it, so it was too late to ask a doctor about PEP. Please help. My anxiety is killing me. Thank you.

Worried Mom

Hi Worried Mom,

First off, all my replies are "honesty answers." Next, I see no reason for concern whatsoever. Urine (not contaminated by blood or other fluids) is sterile and does not contain HIV. PEP is definitely NOT warranted.

Your McDonald's anxiety has been "super-sized," but it's completely unwarranted! Relax, Mom. You deserve a break today!

needle stick injury-need help
Bob, My Life Sucks, Please Help, Please Post.