Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

If you think you have HIV...
Oct 18, 2004

I went for an HIV test a couple of weeks ago. I was sure that I would turn up positive. I had swollen lymph nodes and felt terrible. After the test I went into the worst bout of depression, thinking I had HIV, or even worse, AIDS. I would stare at my tongue in the mirror for hours a day. I had gone from having Oral Hairy Leukoplakia, to thrush. I was scratching my tongue at part to scrape of what I thought was either OHL or thrush (btw, if you know what OHL is without thinking about it, you need to get off the internet). I ended up making my tongue sore and now I was sure I had thrush. I get canker sores all the time, but now I was sure that these canker sores were a symptom of HIV (when they were most likely a product of the neverending stress I was going through thinking I had HIV). I couldn't function. I couldn't focus on my studies nor could I even casually hang out with friends. I was dying, and would have to tell my parents and everybody. I would have to drop out of school. My whole life was finished. I spent hours, upon hours of time on the internet. I wanted to die because I didn't want to have HIV. But now, I can finally tell my story, as I've been longing to do so for so long and give an enthusiastic WOOHOO! If you have intense worries about having HIV, the internet will make you much, much, much, MUCH worse. I know first hand. I got my test results back, and they were all negative, and I am extremely greatful. I'm now thinking of going into the medical field to help the fight against HIV/AIDS.

And to you Dr. Bob: Thank you for your intellegent replies, and you're devotion to us hypochondriacs out in cyberland. It was your site alone that gave me a shred of hope at the worst of times. Thank you. And: WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Cyberland Ex-Hypochondriac,

Thank you for taking the time to write in and share your experience. And for those of you who do know what "OHL" stands for, how about this one "CHAOS" (give up?... it's Chronic-Hurts-All-Over Syndrome)!

WOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOO Cyber Ex-Hypochondriacal Guy!!!

You are now formally part of our rapidly growing X-Files (X-Worried Wells)! Welcome to the club!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
French guy concerned about Hiv 1, Hiv 2, sub-type O...???
Next
I think I am going crazy, can you help!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.