Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

The CDC has got me Paranoid...Im a wreck..PLEASE HELP
Oct 15, 2004

Hello docter, please forgive me for writing to you again but your the only one i feel i can talk to PLEASE HELP

I did read the archives as you told me to do so and i thought i had found my answer to the risk of HIV transmission through receiving oral sex. But then i happened to call the CDC and they told me that the risk is just as much as me performing oral sex and that the chance of infection was there. Now i feel as if i might be infected,the person i talked to told me im at risk. I told them exactly what i told you, that i received oral sex from a male (nothing else), finished out of his mouth, didn't see anything odd around the outside of his mouth, no visible blood during the time, no cuts on my penis, (not sure if he had sores inside).

That was ALL that happened and thats all i told the guy at the CDC hotline.

So i read the archives and was feeling good and they the CDC totally contradicted what i read and made me nervous again. PLease confirm to me what my risk is. I NEED TO HEAR IT FROM YOU. Its like a 2 out of 3 thing, so far its 1(archives) low risk and 1 (CDC) risk.

NOTE: i tested a week after and a month after(that would be last friday) and they came back negative but again its only been 1 month (something else the cdc told me was that HIV cannot be deteced until the 3 month period).

i want to start a new relationship with this person i just met but i don't want to put them at risk until i know my status.

hope you will respond and thank you for everything. I did a woo after the 1 month test, what do you say my chances for a complete WOO-HOO are?

I made a donation about a week ago, only 50 because i dont work but i think anything help, as soon as i can i will donate again.

Thanks doc, best wishes to you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

OK, here you go. A second opinion on your second opinion. Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission. Insertive sex is less risky than receptive sex (oral, vaginal, anal, whatever, wherever). Your one-week and one-month negative HIV tests are encouraging, but tests are not considered definitive until at least three months. (Hey, the CDC and I agree on that one!)

If you are worried, get tested at the three-month mark. Your chances of matching a HOO with your one-month WOO are excellent.

Thank you for your donation. Fifty dollars can potentially save 62 lives! That is more than just a "help;" it's a miracle!

Good luck. We'll all be waiting to share your definitive WOO-HOO in a few-weeks time!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Smoking accelerated symptoms
Next
negative but still sick, please answer Dr. Bob

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.