Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ITS YOUR FRIEND BAGHDAD MIKE AGAIN, PLEASE SEE!
Oct 1, 2004

Dr. Bob, Long time no talk. Alot has happened since we last talked/ I will give you the short of it. I have been in extensuve therapy and have been labeled , among other things, a sex addict. Which may explain my often reckless experience. I have also explored and had my first "non-hetero sexual"experience. Which really was scary- and this is where my question begins. - Dr. Bob- if this is the route my life takes me SINCE my marrage is/has been over-- are there anymore risks involved with being with a Man. I know that may sound stupid, but- for instance- condom use-is it as effective?? etc. Also - i have another question, in my experience last month, the guy i was with was great.He was very tolerant to my in-experience- we did have anal sex, me as the top and we used a condom with lube- but i am afraid i was about two to three days into a herpes break out- i just couldnt feel it . I noticed a sore afterward, , but it was on my pubic area, not on my shaft. The condom did not cover this area, obviously, so does this increase my risk for transmission,. if in fact he was positive? His status was unknown to me, and we werbeing safe, but i am a littl epaniced about the whole out break thing. Would you be so kind as to give me your opinion on this?? I can , again, use your help!! Also , as a side bsr- no more overseas for me- my therapy has kept me stateside- until i get out in a few months. I look forward to your response, and i send you all my respect and admiration. Stay wewll, Sir.

Your Friend , Mike

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Mike,

I'm glad you are gaining some insight into your problems and sexual identity. HIV risk is dependent on the risk activity, not the gender of your partner. Condoms are equally effective in preventing HIV with men as they are with women, if the condom is used properly.

Regarding herpes, open sores/blisters can provide easier access for HIV to enter the body. White blood cells at the site of herpes sores or blisters may increase susceptibility to HIV as well. If you are concerned the area of your herpetic sore came in contact with possibly infected fluids from your partner (semen or blood), then you'll need to be HIV tested in three months.

Mike, I'm pleased you are staying stateside. I wish all our troops could be here as well. Unfortunately Bush has gotten us into a terrible mess in Iraq that now must be dealt with. Following tonight's presidential debate, there should be no question in anyone's mind that John Kerry is more qualified than Bush to resolve the chaos Bush has created.

One final caution, Mike: be careful about the military's misguided "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.

Good luck, Mike.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I Must Be a Technological Midget
Next
Please educate me so I don't infect my girlfriend

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.