Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HELP FROM LEBANON :-(
Sep 29, 2004

Hi Dr. Bob,

This was my encounter with a sex worker of Thai nationality: - PROTECTED VAGINAL INTERCOURSE for around two minutes, I orgasmed quickly. -UNPROTECTED INSERTIVE ORAL for around 2 minutes, I told her to stop.

I tested NON_REACTIVE at 5 months 16 days. Test was : HIV - 1/2 Antibody Methodology : Microparticle Enzyme Immunoassay (MEIA). Result : NON_REACTIVE.

The test was done at the AMERICAN HOSPITAL in DUBAI, Dubai is located in the persian Gulf, this institution seemed so proffessional to me, and they are JCI accredited, whatever that means.

But i am still not over my HIV fears, I don't know why :(, is this normal? to stay scared even after testing after 5.5 months??

But, I am still concerned about other STDs, especially : Herpes and Hepatitis B because of the brief oral part.

I showed no symptons what so ever of both diseases.

I even took 4.5 grams of azythromax divided into three episodes each of 1.5 grams separated by a week each. I did that to rule out chlamydia, I guess Azythromax is not effective for Syphilis and Gonorrhea, correct ??

The reason I took medicines without testing is that i work right now in a country where testing for these diseases is a tabboo, that is why i traveled to DUBAI to do the HIV test.

1. How risky is hepatitis B from my brief oral unprotected insertive encounter? 2. Same question for herpes.

Thank you Doctor Bob.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Lebanon,

Congratulations on your negative HIV tests! WOO-HOO!

Regarding other STDs, I find it incredulous that it is taboo in any country to even test for viral illnesses like hepatitis B or herpes! Where do you live? Vatican City?

In general terms, herpes is quite easily transmitted through oral sex. Sores and blisters (usually on the lips, genitals, or anus) are extremely infectious; however, the herpes virus can be passed even when no symptoms are present. Transmission can occur by sucking, getting sucked, rimming, licking, and being licked.

As for hepatitis B, oral transmission would be much more difficult. Transmission is primarily via unprotected anal sex, blood-to-blood transmission, and sharing infected needles. I should also point out there are vaccines available to protect you from both hepatitis A and B.

Hope that helps clarify things for you. If healthcare is that backwards in your country, why not start an advocacy group? Contact the World Health Organization, and other international health organizations for assistance.

Taboos such as these are meant to be broken!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dear St. Bob the Doctor
Next
part two-- hiv symptoms or stress? Please help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.