facts

Is it true that a condom cannot protect one from getting the HIV virus and AIDS? I was told by a teacher that HIV can be transmitted even with the use of a condom. Pls let me know A.S.A.P. thanks

Your teacher told you what??? What did you say her name was? Miss Information???

Here's the information from the CDC's (Center for Disease Control's) "Fact Sheet for Public Health Personnel: Male Latex Condoms and Sexually Transmitted Diseases" (updated on August 4, 2004):

Latex condoms, when used consistently and correctly, are highly effective in preventing the sexual transmission of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

AIDS is, by far, the most deadly sexually transmitted disease, and considerably more scientific evidence exists regarding condom effectiveness for prevention of HIV infection than for other STDs. The body of research on the effectiveness of latex condoms in preventing sexual transmission of HIV is both comprehensive and conclusive. In fact, the ability of latex condoms to prevent transmission of HIV has been scientifically established in "real-life" studies of sexually active couples as well as in laboratory studies. Laboratory studies have demonstrated that latex condoms provide an essentially impermeable barrier to particles the size of STD pathogens. Theoretical basis for protection. Latex condoms cover the penis and provide an effective barrier to exposure to secretions such as semen and vaginal fluids, blocking the pathway of sexual transmission of HIV infection. Epidemiologic studies that are conducted in real-life settings, where one partner is infected with HIV and the other partner is not, demonstrate conclusively that the consistent use of latex condoms provides a high degree of protection.

Feel free to send your teacher a copy of this response. I think she may need some remedial work in the sex education department.

Stay informed; stay safe; stay well.

I made it bc of YOU!
How can I help my friends make better decisions?