Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

MADE DONATION - FRANTIC - PITYRIASIS ROSEA - PLEASE HELP
Sep 23, 2004

Dearest Dr. Bob,

Just donated $300 with my credit card to www.concertedeffort.org/donate.html. Thanks for all the support you provide literally to millions around the globe.

Please answer my question when you return from France. I am frantic. I cannot sleep, work, maintain my job or my marraige. I have been reduced to nothing but fear over the past few months.

I want you to please let me know if pityriasis rosea is an ARS symptom or something you have come across as part of seroconversion. The pediatrician diagnosed my 4 year daughter with PR which showed up with a larger herald rash and followed up with several other oval rashes that were scaly and pink.

My daughter licked my face about 5 minutes after I had shaved in the morning. I found a little later that my face had some blood (I noticed red stains on my white shirt when I wiped my face on my shoulder). About a week later, my daughter developed pityriasis rosea (the herald rash followed by other smaller oval rashes).

I am afraid I could have infected my daughter with HIV. Since I had an exposure that was relatively low risk a few months I was shocked when my daughter got this Pityriasis rosea rash (occurs mostly in the 10-30 age group). Is or could pitriasis rosea be an ARS symptom? Going insane. Please give me guidance. I have no where to go Dr. Bob. You have no idea what an email from you can do to save me and my family. Job is at stake. Heck, my life is at stake. Marraige under severe pressure.

All my mind thinks about is my daughter's rash. I love her so much. I am paralyzed. Please, please, answer me and do not ignore my email. I have sent you several emails in the past few weeks. Will be devastated if I do not hear from you...for better or for worse.

Thanks for your answer.

All my love,

Your worried admirer

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Worried Admirer,

Pityriasis rosea is fairly common in children and young adults. It is not related to HIV. The rash is characteristic (herald patch, etc.), and the condition is very benign and self-limited. It should resolve spontaneously within six to eight weeks.

The chances of your daughter contracting HIV from licking your face after shaving (even with some bleeding) are essentially nonexistent!

I'm not sure why this common and trivial condition triggered in you such an incapacitating fear reaction. I'm guessing there may be a large component of guilt associated with your "relatively low-risk exposure a few months ago." Have you discussed the situation with your wife? That might help. If you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, you'll need to be tested at the three-month mark.

At any rate, I see absolutely no reason for concern regarding your daughter's pityriasis rosea. OK?

Thank you for your generous and compassionate tax-deductible donation to my foundation. Your one gift will touch many lives. Good luck. Please give your daughter a hug from me, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Quasi-PEP
Next
>>> IM FREE DOC, FOR THE WW <<<

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.