Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I have PEP'd?
Sep 11, 2004

Dr. Bob,

I am a 29 y.o. gay man married to a wonderful man. We have a 3-year old child and are in the process of adopting a second child.

Last week, in a moment of unparalleled selfishness and stupidity, I engaged in unprotected insertive and receptive oral sex with an almost stranger. I did not have any cuts/sores in my mouth and he did not ejaculate in my mouth. I do not remember tasting any precum either, although I can't be sure.

I contacted my doctor the next morning about starting PEP, but he said it wasn't necessary. I am worried sick that I am or will become HIV positive and can see no way continuing on as a part of my family unit. I can't sleep or eat and don't know what to do.

Please tell me I am overreacting and that I will not live to regret not challenging my doctor more on his decision not to start PEP.

Help!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You want me to "please tell you that you are overreacting?" OK, listen up. You are overreacting! There. Feel better?

Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission. I, too, would advise against PEP in this type of situation. The risks associated with taking PEP would outweigh the potential benefits. I would suggest you discuss the entire situation with your husband. Testing in three months will give a definitive result. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this lapse in judgment. We'll all send you our best karma for a negative HIV test result. Read through the extensive archives of this forum. I believe you'll find the information and testimonials there very comforting. Now go hug that handsome stud of yours and give your kid a kiss from me. OK?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Woo-hoo! Thank you Dr. Bob!
Next
Dr. Bob, Can I conclusively Wooooohoooo?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.