Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Woo-hoo! Thank you Dr. Bob!
Sep 11, 2004

Dr. Bob,

I've never asked you a question before, mainly because I was too terrified to get answers, and I felt others' questions and concerns were more important than my own. However, I did check this forum on a daily basis and read all your responses to people with real concerns. Your insight and knowledge is more valuable than you could ever know, and as a Christian, I truly feel that God has blessed us all to be in your presence and hear your words of encouragement.

I tested negative for HIV-1 via a Home Access test. I waited about 11 months to get tested. I didn't have any sexual contact with anyone because I told and convinced myself I had this disease. The symptoms scared me. I had a lot of chest and throat pain, and I'd get rashes. I won't bore you with the rest of my anxiety-induced symptoms (because that is exactly what they were), but I will say that a healthy donation is coming your way. Not because you will answer my question, but because I never realized how serious this disease was, and what seems to be even more frightening is how ignorant the world is to it. You'd think more people would be REQUIRED to carry some knowledge on this disease. It should be a subject in high school -- "HIV/AIDS." Our government has done a poor, poor job on combating this disease. I am thankful and forever grateful that we have people like you who can help and inform.

I had one risky unprotected encounter with a female of unknown status. I didn't even get her name. I had a moment of weakness one night, and I did something completely out of character. Then, I made it worse by worrying myself to death. Your forum is the only thing that helped me through this trying time.

I have vowed to learn more about this disease and try and help people with it. It's not something to look down upon -- it's a real problem that needs real attention. I pray we find a cure to AIDS someday, but until then I am thankful you're with us, Dr. Bob.

May God keep you safe and healthy. You will forever be in my prayers and thoughts, and I am happy and honored to stand beside you in the fight against the disease. People, we need to wake up! Get tested! Make donations! This disease can't beat us, only if we let it.

Thank you, Dr. Bob. You are a God-send.

Ex-worried well from WA

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Ex-Worried Well from WA,

Thank you for your kind words, compassionate thoughts and prayers, and generous spirit. Raising awareness of the HIV/AIDS epidemic through advocacy and education is part of the core mission of my foundation. We have provided AIDS education in the primary schools, conducted community forums, and presented symposia for healthcare workers. In addition, we have arranged for display of the AIDS Memorial Quilt to illustrate the enormity of the epidemic, increase public awareness, and assist with HIV prevention education. As you can see, your one gift will touch many lives.

Congratulations on your negative Home Access test. Your 11-month negative result is definitive and we welcome you to both the ranks of the X-Worried Wells and to the battle to fight against this nearly inconceivable horror we call AIDS. Every 10 seconds, someone in the world dies of AIDS. If nothing more is done, by the year 2010, there will be 20 million AIDS orphans and more than 100 million people infected with the virus worldwide. Together we can change these gruesome statistics.

On behalf of all people living with the virus, I offer you my heartfelt appreciation.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Greatful swede would like to say a million thanks to you Dr Bob and to donate to your fund
Next
Should I have PEP'd?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.