Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

BAD MOVE ON MYPART
Sep 10, 2004

Hello Dr. Bob,

I am so depressed and upset with myself with this particular sexual action that was performed on me this past weekend. I am HIV+ with an undetectable VLOAD. I have a boyfriend who performed unprotected oral sex on me for the first time. I've never ejaculated before, but, when I came this time, he caught me by surprise and lick some cum off the tip of my penis. I immediately yelled at him, "Don't do that", SPIT it Out!". He did and now I"m having GUILT and ANXIETY about contracting him. I know what the risk are, so, I guess my question is: "Has he been exposed if he didn't swollow, if he spit it out immediately?" I'm so scared Dr. Bob. I love this guy so much. Thank you for your time sir. Look forward to hear from you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission. That your partner immediately spit out the lapped up spunk coupled with your undetectable viral load would further decrease the likelihood of viral transmission. However, your partner's risk, albeit very low, is not nonexistent. I should also point out that all sexually active people should be responsible for their own behavior. All of us should assume any of our sexual partners could be HIV positive and take the appropriate measures for protection. Yes, it takes two to tango (or bango, if you will), but the primary responsibility for staying safe always rests with each of us as individuals.

I hope that helps.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I am so glad that you exist
Next
Life insurance Test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.