Nucleic Acid Testing -vs- P 24 antigen -vs- Antibody test's

Dear Bob,

Just read your answer from your status dealing with the HIV. I do not feel you are living on borrowed time. I believe there is a bigger purpose for everthing. Yours is obvious to me, helping others. This will always give you an internal streangth that can not be measured on the effects of healing upons one's body. I will give you a huge prayer this evening and will ask to give some of my time to you. If others do the same you should be around a long time to give streangth to other.

What is your opinion on these 3 types of tests for hiv screening. I have had my 3 month neg ELISA and still can not get it through my head that I am not infected. I tryed screaming Woo Hoo but all I get is the neighbors shoe thrown at me. I read by taking all three test will give a final result for someone in my situation. Cuts the window period down to ess then one month. What would you do in my situation? I read your resume and is very impressive, your opinion is greatly needed.

Thank you, Rob

Thank you for your kind words and thoughtful prayers.

I don't have any information about your potential HIV exposure, but barring extenuating circumstances, I would consider a negative ELISA at three months to be definitive. The additional tests (P-24 antigen and nucleic acid testing) merely corroborate the results of your negative ELISA.

If screaming WOO-HOO and getting clunked on the noggin with one of your neighbor's cha-cha pumps didn't convince you that you are indeed HIV negative, you may need some counseling to help you accept this joyous fact. It's somewhat amazing, but guilt and anxiety can indeed prevent us from accepting even very good news. I'm confident that with a bit of help, your good news will soon indeed sink in. And when it does, I'll bet your WOO-HOO will rival Pavarotti! However, just in case your neighbor is not impressed and decides to start hurling even heavier objects, you might want to wear a helmet.

Stay well . . . because you are indeed "well!"

Donations
Question about test reliability