Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

SHAVING?
Sep 5, 2004

Hello, I am a 22 y/o male. My question may seem a little off the wall, but has me worried sick. On May 31 I slept with a co-worker. It was protected, but the catch is that I shave all of my male region before sex. I don't know why females tend to like it more. It was at least two hours later that I had sex after shaving. The problem is that the person I had slept with a few weeks later died due to an overdose on drugs, and after she died one of her friends told me she had recently slept with a person with HIV. Her friend was not aware that we had slept together so it wasn't a scare tactic. I'm obviously freaked out though! I may be over thinking the situation but about two weeks after our sexual encounter I developed a out of control rash. I went to the doctor and he said it was PITYRIASIS ROSEA, he never sent me to a dermatologist to take tests, but he was sure it was this. Of course lately though after finding out she had slept with someone with HIV I've been feeling sick. I've had a sore throat for 2 weeks now, fatigue, and neck and back pain. And lymph nodes have been tender also. Are any of these ailments due to possible HIV exposure,even the rash? I have been tested at 7 weeks,this test was done by the military for I am in the Army reserves, so I am not aware of the type of HIV tests they conduct. I also took a test at my civilian doctors office at 10 1/2 weeks. Both of which came out negative. Should I still worry due to these 2 tests? Thedoctor had me freaked because he said since I shaved with a disposable razor before sex I had greatly increased my chances of contracting things she may have had. Here I thought I was being smart and safe using a condom. After how many months 3 or 6 will an HIV test be reliable enough to where I dont have to worry, and how much did the shaving increase my risk? I shaved 2 hours before, and I put lotion on after. I don't know that may have kept the possible wounds open. Do I need to worry due to the situaton? PLEASE HELP ME! I'm so worried. No matter what the outcome is I will donate I promise. Thank You for taking the time to read this email! D.B.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi D.B.,

The doctor told you that you had "greatly increased your chances of contracting things???" Hmmm, I'd say he "greatly exaggerated" any potential risk. D.B., you were indeed "being smart and safe using a condom." That's undoubtedly the most critical part of having safer sex.

Your negative HIV tests at seven and 10 weeks are very encouraging. A negative test at three months would be definitive in my opinion.

The shaving risk is fairly minimal, but for future events, why not give it a day or so? OK? After all, you know how sexy a 5 o'clock shadow can be on your chin. Just think what it can do for Mr. Happy!

Thank you for your donation! It's warmly appreciated and urgently needed.

Stay well. I'll look forward to hearing your conclusive WOO-HOO very soon!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Bob for president !!!!!
Next
Is infection likely after 22yrs?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.