HIV-by sharing a spoon

Dear doctor robert! Im not so good at english, but I try. My question is. I was at my friends house and a Hiv-positiv was cooking food. He wondering if I wanna to tested the sauce. And then he took a litte spoon from the table, I dont know if he had have the spoon in his mouth before me, but I think so. Then I take a little sauce on the spoon and took it in my mouth. Is this a risk for transmission of HIV. I know that the man has been sick for almost 15 years and that he is dont taking any medicin because he is tired of life. Is this more riskfully, can the virus in saliva get so high so i can get infected from this spoon whit sauce even if his virus is high in the blood? I know that you havent seen this transmission in families and ect, but Im so worried! Please answer quickly! I meen somtimes I get calm because there was so little of saliva on that spoon, I think that you must hvave more saliva to get transmission, or? Even if the virus is high in the blood, can it be so high in this little saliva on that spoon? From Bianca

Bianca,

Relax! There is absolutely no HIV risk from sharing a spoon with your poz friend. Casual contact is not a risk for HIV transmission. Spend some time reading the wealth of information in the archives on this site and the related links. It will help to further calm your irrational fears. OK? By the way, how did the sauce taste and more importantly, can we come over for dinner? A nice calamari red sauce over homemade gnocchi sounds good right about now. I'll bring a nice bottle of cabernet.

Stay well and make sure your saucy friend knows about this website. He too may find it helpful. Give him a hug for me.

Bon Appétit!

going to my wedding without hearing from you
symptoms in 5 hours? Possible?