Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Will donate $ "how" (3 month test neg) can I sleep now
Sep 1, 2004

Dr. Bob,

I will donate $100.00 to your org. if you can assist me.

I had a month long relationship with a female and had unprotected sex x 2 during the time. Since we split up I have had great angsiety over HIV. We both are 35 yrs of age, vaginal sex only and non-drug using people. I have never had any problems in the past fighting off flu's, colds ect. I would consider myself a health individual, and her to. She stated I have never had a std in my life but will not get tested or decided not to inform me about the results.

My tests completed. Day's after exposure 17-ELISA 46 ELISA 54 Orasure 60 Rapid 66 ELISA 74 Rapid 81 Rapid 88 ELISA and rapid ALL NON-REACTIVE. The lab said that the ELISA is confirmed with the Western Blot. The white coat at the Health Dept. say's I do not have HIV(Nurse Practitioner). My Doc. says after 3 months it over. I need to know from an expert like yourself?

Is the above tests conclusive for me of not having HIV?? Should I continue testing???

My symptoms were and still are sweating (not at night), sharp pain in the lymph node area (neck around adams apple and noyde area, side of chest, next to arm pit and groin area. The pain last for a little time but subsides. I lost 10-15 pounds but put it back on.

I know you get a lot of these e-mails reviewing your arcives, but I would like my case specifically reviewed by a trained Doc. in this field. I will mail the $100.00 immediatly after receiving you mailing address. Thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You've read about many cases like yours in the archives yet you want your case "specifically reviewed?" You had unprotected sex with a woman of unknown HIV status and have had multiple negative HIV tests out past three months. Yes, that is a fairly common scenario and yes, I've answered questions exactly like yours multiple times in the past. Now since you apparently know this, why do you want to have your case "specifically reviewed?" Did you think I might change my mind on the advice I've given so many times in the past? Well, I can assure you that certainly is not the case. So here comes the "Department of Redundancy Department" once again.

Unprotected vaginal sex does place you at risk for STDs, including HIV. However, I would consider a negative ELISA test at three months or more to be definitive. Hence, your negative 88-day ELISA (and rapid) is conclusive. You are HIV negative. Testing prior to three months is not considered definitive and therefore not recommended. However, the seven unnecessary inconclusive negative tests you took during this period would certainly corroborate your definitive three-month test. I see no reason for further testing. You've had way too much already. You can put your "angsiety" to rest, OK?

Regarding the $100 donation, thank you, but please note my advice here is free and available to everyone. Donations to my foundation should be made only to help further the Foundation's mission of providing crucial services to men, women, and children living with HIV and to promote awareness of the HIV/AIDS epidemic through education and advocacy. Donations should not be offered as an incentive for me to respond to a particular question. Donations should reflect only compassion, generosity, and a desire to help others. If that is your intention, please accept my sincere appreciation. The Foundation's address is:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 779 Altos Oaks Drive, Suite 200 Los Altos, CA 94024

Additional donation information can be found on the Foundation's website, www.concertedeffort.org.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Retesting
Next
pimples and hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.