Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

darn its my 3rd time asking, still love ya!
Sep 1, 2004

Dr-First off you are the man!

history- Its about 9 months since I had sex and about 2 months since my last test which was negative. I do not do any type of drugs. I need to know if I should get tested due to the following:

I had some dental work done and I was out at the bar that night when I felt a sharp pain in my gums, so I put my dirty hands in my mouth about 3 different times that night not thinking to wash my hands and my gum was bleeding a little bit, I also drank out of someones glass as well. Should I get tested?

I also wanted to know if this is an OCD issue, i worry about HIV and different exposures. Please help me out.

Ps- I am a straight male but you are a stud! Thanks

Dannyboy

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Dannyboy,

I see no reason for HIV testing, based on the information you have provided. HIV is really much, much more difficult to catch than that.

Is this OCD? I can't diagnose OCD with only such limited information. I will say, however, that your worries about HIV are way out of proportion to any real risk. That may be a problem related to misinformation or not understanding scientific facts about HIV transmission. Alternatively, it could indeed be irrational, totally unjustified fears of HIV. Spend some time reading through the information on this site and related links. There is a wealth of information here. If you remain excessively concerned, talk to your doctor about getting some counseling to help you cope with this anxiety. OK?

Regarding your P.S., you're a straight male, but still think I'm a stud??? Thanks, Dannyboy! Gosh, all I have to do is convert three more and I'll get the toaster oven.

Stay well, Dannyboy!

Dr. Bob

Previous
WILL DONATE! 4TH TIME ASKING! THINK I'M HIV+
Next
Retesting

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.