Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testing...
Aug 29, 2004

Have posted a few times, and received a response...but have quick question regarding testing.. I emailed about an incident where i received an unprotected blow job and finger in my anus from a thai girl...As i said in my last email, im extremely worried and clearly have anxiety issues!..as im travelling for 4 months i dont know who to talk to. Id really like a test done after 1 month, to maybe give my mind a little bit more peace. I have read though that u dont recommend testing after 1 month...I understand that the results cant be conclusive and i will be definantly doing a 3 month test, but would sleep easier knowing my 1 month test was negative. I arrive in London in a few days where id get it done. (1 month and 1 week after my regreatable incident)im only there for a couple of days before going on a tour through Europe...Please give me your opinion asap...Id really like to give myself alittle bit more reassurance and enjoy the rest of my holiday. Appreciate your time..and will continually donate to your fund. Thankyou.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

When and even if you get HIV tested is a personal decision that only you can make. Because testing prior to three months is not considered definitive, I certainly cannot recommend it. Will a test that is inconclusive by definition really relive your anxiety? The same amount of money you would spend on these inconclusive tests could conclusively save lives. Personally, I believe the money would be better spent by being donated to the charity of your choice. That action I guarantee would make you feel better, whereas getting an inconclusive test probably won't. But again, that's just my opinion and the way I choose to live my life. Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best. Please remember the odds are astronomically in your favor that you are HIV negative.

We will all continue to send our very best karma your way. Consider getting some help for your "anxiety issues." Don't let irrational fear spoil even one moment of your "tour through Europe," which, by the way, sounds wonderful.

Bon voyage and "bonne chance" (French for good luck!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Oral Sex with Known HIV woman
Next
Sharing drink with gum-diseased HIV + guy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.