Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CDC has me scared and I'm getting married!
Aug 26, 2004

Dr. Bob,

First thanks for this site. It's great.

I have done an archive search and am just concerned by what the CDC told me versus what I've read here.

This is regarding a non-sexual exposure. A few days ago I shook hands with a gentleman and he squeezed my hand pretty hard. A few minutes later I noticed that the handshake had torn a two or three day old scab off of my hand. It was bleeding, not dripping, but bleeding where the scab was. I immediately washed my hands, but didn't really look to see if it looked like there was other blood there other than in the actual wound (which I presume was mine).

I do not know this person and do not know if he was bleeding. Yes, I know it would be pretty strange that he would be bleeding too, but heck, he doesn't know I was!

I called the CDC to see if there was a risk as hand shaking is considered casual contact. They told me that because I had an open wound there could have been blood to blood contact and I should have a test in 3 months.

So, now I am freaking out. I am getting married in two weeks and my fiance and I wanted to try to have a child right away because of her age. Now I'm concerned for her safety too.

So did they just give me a standard line? Should I be worried?

Just for reference, I've never had unprotected sex and only had sex with two people and both were tested. I've also never used drugs.

So, Dr. Bob, any thoughts, or am I letting wild thoughts run amok?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Almost-Married Guy,

The CDC told you what???? Did you call the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) or CDC (Center for Dopey Comments)?

Relax guy, your HIV risk is completely nonexistent. I see absolutely no reason for concern. HIV testing would not be warranted for this "non-exposure."

The only thoughts that should be running amok in your mind now should pertain to your honeymoon night!

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! Maybe someday this country will allow Steve (Dr. Steve in The Body's Tratamientos Forum) and me the same right.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Bob, please answer a question that is tough, no more easy BJ BS
Next
Votre encouragement svp....

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.