CDC has me scared and I'm getting married!

Dr. Bob,

First thanks for this site. It's great.

I have done an archive search and am just concerned by what the CDC told me versus what I've read here.

This is regarding a non-sexual exposure. A few days ago I shook hands with a gentleman and he squeezed my hand pretty hard. A few minutes later I noticed that the handshake had torn a two or three day old scab off of my hand. It was bleeding, not dripping, but bleeding where the scab was. I immediately washed my hands, but didn't really look to see if it looked like there was other blood there other than in the actual wound (which I presume was mine).

I do not know this person and do not know if he was bleeding. Yes, I know it would be pretty strange that he would be bleeding too, but heck, he doesn't know I was!

I called the CDC to see if there was a risk as hand shaking is considered casual contact. They told me that because I had an open wound there could have been blood to blood contact and I should have a test in 3 months.

So, now I am freaking out. I am getting married in two weeks and my fiance and I wanted to try to have a child right away because of her age. Now I'm concerned for her safety too.

So did they just give me a standard line? Should I be worried?

Just for reference, I've never had unprotected sex and only had sex with two people and both were tested. I've also never used drugs.

So, Dr. Bob, any thoughts, or am I letting wild thoughts run amok?

Hi Almost-Married Guy,

The CDC told you what???? Did you call the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) or CDC (Center for Dopey Comments)?

Relax guy, your HIV risk is completely nonexistent. I see absolutely no reason for concern. HIV testing would not be warranted for this "non-exposure."

The only thoughts that should be running amok in your mind now should pertain to your honeymoon night!

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! Maybe someday this country will allow Steve (Dr. Steve in The Body's Tratamientos Forum) and me the same right.

Dr. Bob, please answer a question that is tough, no more easy BJ BS
Votre encouragement svp....