Is it possible?

Dear Doc, Is it possible for a person to have negative EIA at 18 weeks after possible exposure, negative DNA PCRs at 4 and 16 weeks and CD4=1250, CD8=536, averall CD3=1836 at 16 weeks and be infected with HIV anyway? Thank you very very much!

You provide no details about your potential HIV exposure, so it is difficult to give you an absolute answer. However, without extenuating circumstances, I would advise that an EIA at three or more months following a routine potential HIV exposure would be conclusive. I do not recommend PCR testing for routine screening due to the possibility of false-positive results. I also see absolutely no reason to run T-cell subsets. My opinion is that you spent a lot of extra money on unwarranted, unjustified medical tests that gave you the exact same information you would have had with a single HIV antibody test at three or more months following a routine potential exposure. You are HIV negative.

THis may be an odd question
canuck, freaking out