Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

9-1-1 Police officer needs help!
Aug 15, 2004

Dr. Bob,

Thank you. For the past few weeks your website/forum have given me hope. It was a God send that I discovered it. Even though I have surfed your forum I feel compelled to try to tell you my story. I am a police officer who was involved in the fatal shooting of a drug dealer after he struck me with his car in an attempt to escape arrest. A short time later I found comfort (unprotected vaginal sex) with a female friend of approx. 5 years. A week later I again sought comfort (same as before) with a female co-worker of approx. 10 years. This only added to my depression. I spoke of my HIV fears with both and they each had anti-body tests done approximately 5-6 weeks after each individual encounter. Both were negative. I was tested at 6,8,10,& 12 weeks after the latest encounter. All were negative. It would mean the world to me if you can give me a WOO-HOO. THANK YOU & GOD BLESS.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Officer,

Assuming you are concerned about the HIV risk from your "comfort," rather than from the drug dealer who struck you with his car, you can relax. Even though unprotected sex certainly places you at risk for STDs, including HIV, if you've tested negative out to 12 weeks from that last possible exposure, I would consider your results definitive. That your two "comforters" tested negative five-six weeks after comforting you lends further assurance to your negative status, which you should find very . . . ahem . . . comforting.

Remember that whenever confronting dangerous situations (drug dealers or comfort zones), proper protection can be lifesaving.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Finally need your help (but nice help)
Next
Magnetic gay relationship

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.