Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

acidental prick of needle from HIV + patient
Aug 13, 2004

I am a medical general practitioiner. After giving an injection to HIV+ patient the needle accidently pricked my finger. Being afraid I squeezed the pricked area and then only did the prick bleed. I have started, within 12 hours the dosage of Levovudine and Zidovudine twice a day. Is this the correct therapy for such an acidental prick and for how long should I continue and whenm shall I get tested.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You can download the U.S. Public Health Service's recommendations from their website. Briefly, if you sustained a significant occupational exposure from a patient confirmed to be HIV positive, you should have HIV-antibody testing for at least six months post-exposure (e.g. at baseline, six weeks, three months, and six months). HIV PEP recommendations consist of a basic four-week regimen of two drugs (zidovudine and lamivudine). Other combinations, such as lamivudine plus stavudine, can also be considered. Two drugs are recommended for most HIV exposures; however, an expanded regimen that includes the addition of a third drug is recommended for HIV exposures that pose an increased risk of transmission. Consideration must also be given to the source person's virus. If it is known or suspected to be resistant to one or more drugs in the basic PEP regimen, alternate drugs should be considered.

Hope that helps. I also think it would be prudent for you to be followed by a colleague who is knowledgeable in HIV PEP, rather than trying to treat yourself.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I am negative doc. I cant believe
Next
Bush has to go?????

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.