Girl raped 10 years ago

Dr. Bob,

Pardon my ignorance and potentially strange question related to my partner/my HIV/STD risk level.

I've recently given/received unprotected oral sex and had protected vaginal sex with a woman of known history. Basically, she has been with one other guy, but was raped some 10 odd years ago. (we are both 21 now). I never considered the health risks posed by the man that raped her, and not sure if I should.

So again please pardon my ignorance, but my questions:

1) Is it in any way possible that she could have gone 8-10 years without recognition of a problem? Mind you she was quite young when raped and at the time I do not believe she was tested for HIV/STDs (as she then lived in a remote village in Phillipines).

2) Would you suggest testing for her? (I guess my decision to test would be related to her results)

Since this is obviously a sensitive topic, I'd like to approach with a bit of medical tact.

Thanks Dr. Bob. I have learned a great deal by reading your archives and truly commend your work. I will be donating to concertedeffort.

-concerned

ps-another Kerry voter

Unprotected sex is a risk for STDs, including HIV. Could someone have HIV for 8-10 years and not be aware of it? Yes, it's possible, but not highly likely. If your girlfriend is concerned about her risk, she should get tested. If you're concerned about your risk, you should get tested. Your risk was unprotected oral, which carries a very low HIV risk, and protected vagina, which would carry essentially no risk if the latex condom was used properly and did not break.

Hope that helps.

Thank you
Anal sex hiv risk