Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ever hugged a Marine
Aug 10, 2004

Dr Bob. Greetings again from Iraq. What a pleasant surprise to find an email in my inbox saying that my question had been answered. Like many other visitors to thebody.com, I had searched the archives and found that, time after time, my question had been answered. Still, I convinced myself that I would only believe it if I heard it(or rather, read it) directly from you. What a relief it is to finally say that yes, I am HIV negative. It is a sad commentary on my life to think that I am working, living, and fighting in an active combat zone, and my biggest fear was of a disease that I had already been proven not to have. I can not say how proud it makes me to be from a country where compassionate, caring, and loving people like yourelf can give so much and ask so little in return. I only hope that someday I can be regarded with the same esteem that I, and probably everyone else who visits this forum, regard you. You are truly a blessing and, in my mind, a real American hero. I was fortunate enough to see John Kerry's speech at the DNC and I truly believe that "help is on the way." I will be mailing in my ballot as soon as it arrives and can not wait to punch my card for the democratic party. (ensuring of course that my chad is not dangling) Even though we have never met, and in all liklihood ever will, I regard you as a friend. I admire you as a fighter of this disease, and I am eager to help in any way possible. Robert, you mean more to so many people than you could ever imagine. Thank you from the bottom of our collective hearts. If only it were possible to give you a hug and a pat on the back from all the people who rely on your guidance, your support, your intelligence, your straight-forwardness, and your humor. Additionally, I would like to say to all the people who surf the internet for hours a day trying to convince themselves they have or don't have this disease, you have found the mecca of your journey. It lies with Dr. Bob's advice to simply get tested. Do it for yourself and for those you love. In Dr Bob's words, do it so you can "stop chasing a disease you couldn't possibly have." I wish you all the best, Robert, and I sincerely hope that life grants you all it has to offer. I salute you and I send my very best, good doctor. Cheers and Semper Fidelis.

Bryan

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Bryan,

Have I ever hugged a marine? Well actually yeah, I have. It was in NYC during fleet week. Perhaps I should keep the rest of that story quiet until we can get rid of the DADT (Don't Ask, Don't Tell) policy.

Thanks for your thanks, Bryan. Your kind words help to make all the time I spend on this site worthwhile. However, it is I who salutes your sacrifice to serve in the Marines. I'm also sending you my very best karma for a safe and speedy return home. I'll be waiting for that hug.

Stay well! (That's an order!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Regrets, i've had a few.....
Next
Should I Have PEP??? Please Help!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.