IMMUNE SYSTEM please from Dubrovnik - Croatia

Hi Dr. Bob,

I have written you 20 times. No answer. But, thank you anyway for everything you do! It is amazing.

Ok, short version. Does regular smoking, alchocol drinking, marihuana smoking and ocasional exctasy using (for years)can compromize immune system and prolong 3 month window period? Or only IV drug users, cancer patients...are in this potential category?

I am feeling fine desipte ocasional drug/alchocol abuse, I work, study...with common health problems like 90% of people.

I had exposure and hiv1/2 ELISA negative test after 3.5 months.

Can I really woohoo?

Thank you so much and keep up excelent work.

God bless you!

Hello Dubrovnik ,

A negative HIV-1 and HIV-2 ELISA at 3.5 months would, in most cases, be considered a definite WOO-HOO. (You did not mention the details of your potential exposure so I can not be more specific than that.)

Depending on your definition of "regular" and "occasional," smoking, alcohol, marijuana, and ecstasy would not alter the body's ability to make anti-HIV antibodies or change the duration of the window period. That said, there are certainly dangers associated with smoking and ecstasy that I have discussed at length in the archives of this forum. I'd suggest you definitely check it out.

Hope that helps! By the way, I had an excellent time in your fair city last month!

Took a break, now what?
Reducing Risks of Contraction when with a h.i.v.+ female