Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I spit on HIV and on Dubya (Full Version)
Aug 8, 2004

Dear Dr. Bob,

I have a one quick question to ask you. I was outside with a few friends when a person we know is HIV positive. Anyway he's a good person and I tend to help him from time to time, well he just got out of the pet grooming store after having his pet cleaned he passed us by on his scooter and I was about a few feet (about 2-3 feet)away, but as he passed I felt a wet sensation on my elbow. Nothing to panic, I know, but the point is I have some blackheads that at times bust and few around the area were red, I don't know if they bled or not before. I was wearing a T-Shirt and I wiped my elbow and I saw no blood. I didn't see him spit in the area, also there was no spit gob on me, just felt a small speck. But if he did somehow without me noticing and his saliva touched my blackheads they are not big (a 1mm) am I at risk for HIV? Do I need testing? I know it says you can't get HIV from salvia, but if he had some blood in his gums or something could that be a risk?

In fairness it was hot and I was sweating, so it could have been that or his animal shaking from being wet. I work in the complex he lives and he's good man. You know sometimes when people talk small sprays of saliva fly at times. I just want to know my risk, if it was his spit. I also want to continue helping him when I have to and I never gave much thought in how to protect myself. Any advice would be nice.

SO back to my main questions,

If his saliva touched my blackheads am I at risk for HIV?

Do I need testing?

I know it says you can't get HIV from salvia, but if he had some blood in his gums or something could that be a risk, even if it was just a tiny speck of saliva?

Thanks Doc,

Security guy without a clue.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Dear Security Guy without a Clue,

"Blackheads that bust," "spit gobs," "sprays of saliva" when talking . . . Yuk! It's all so unappetizing. I think I'll just proceed directly to your specific questions. The answers are no, no, and no.

I do suggest you spend a bit of time on this site and related links to learn a bit more about HIV and potential modes of transmission, as well as HIV prevention methods, because at this point you are indeed living up to your sign-off name clueless!!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

P.S. Perhaps the pet just whizzed on you. And before you write back and ask, dog piss does not carry HIV.

Previous
please help!
Next
HIV not Jump

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.