Smoking and it's effect duing window period

Dear Dr.Bob, How bad is smoking when one is infected with HIV compared to one not infected with HIV. I am waiting for 3 month window period and I wanted to stop smoking if it is very bad for people with HIV coz I might get neg. or pos. result. I hope to be XWW. Thanks for all the good work you do. I really appreciate what you are doing. Immigrant in US.

Hello Immigrant to U.S.,

Well smoking is deadly whether you're poz or neg, so it seems to be a rather moot point.

Yes, smoking does increase your risk for a variety of respiratory infections (sinusitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, etc.), which can be more difficult to treat if you are HIV positive. And yes, smoking-induced malignancies (cancer) can be more difficult to treat if your immune system is already impaired by HIV. Add to that the ongoing risk of heart disease, stroke, emphysema, and a whole host of other potentially fatal diseases directly related to smoking, and I think you should get the picture -- Butts are bad! (Well, at least those kind of butts anyway.)

Poz or neg, WW or X-WW, my advice is simple: stop smoking or it will kill you.

Good luck on your HIV tests.

A final WOO-HOO
please help!