Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ciao Dr. Bob Woo Hooo? Hippa Act??
Aug 5, 2004

Ciao Dr. Bob

Quick question. Had protected vaginal sex with high risk HO HO from Thailand. Waited my 90 days and went to my Dr. to get tested for HIV 1 / 2.

Just got results both negative. But worried that it might have not been an ELIZA for the test. My lab results list the tests as.

1. HIV-2 Antibody - Neg 2. HIV-1 Antibody Screen- Neg

I asked my Dr if this had been the ELIZA test like I requested and he said yes. BUT when I called the Lab they were not sure if it was the ELIZA or not.. Then they said if I had any questions for my me to call my Dr. and he could call them to find out about the test they did on my blood.

The lab then ended the conversation saying that the "HIPPA Act?" Made it unlawful for them to discuss the test method they did on my blood and that I needed to talk to my Dr..True?? It sounded like a bunch of bullshit to me.......

Dr. Bob what gives? I feel like I am breaking the law trying to get a straight answer out of the Lab.. Shouldn't they freely tell me what test method they used? After all it was my blood and I was a paying customer..

Is this the same level of service I would expect from any lab conducting an HIV 1/2 test?

Sure I want to believe my Dr. but if I cant get a straight answer out of the Lab how can I?

Bob can I Wooooooooo HOoooooo or not?

Thanks

T-Bone

Keep up the good work... Your a Superstar!!! Oh I already donated....$$$$$$ More DOUGH to come....ciao

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

First off, ELISA (That's ELISA with an "s" not ELIZA with a "z," cause ELISA with an "s" goes "ssss" not "zzzzz.". . . hmmm, that's just a little Liza Minnelli humor for some of my forum regulars. You know who you are!) OK, so ELISA stands for enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. It's a test that checks for anti-HIV antibodies. Any test that reads out as yours did HIV-2 antibody-negative, HIV-1 antibody screen-negative is indeed an ELISA or related test that's equally reliable. So you can WOO-HOO, despite high risk with HO-HO.

"HIPPA" is a new set of federal guidelines that attempt to protect the privacy of medical information. However, merely asking what type of HIV testing is performed at a particular laboratory has nothing to do with HIPPA regulations. It is true that HIV information can't be given over the phone, because the lab really can't be sure who is on the other end of the phone line. You know how nosey John Ashcroft can be. He can already pry into what library books we check out. You can just imagine how much he'd like to know about who's doing the unspeakable ---- having sex!

If you are still wondering about your test, you can call the lab, ask to speak to the director, and pose your question: "What type of HIV antibody tests does the lab perform?" He'll give you a straight (or if he's the one in 10, a gay) answer.

Congratulations. WOO-HOO and many thanks for your donations!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
At least first part of my question deserve your answer (Not eligible to vote but Dubeya will surely be defeated)
Next
God love you!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.