Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anxiety about HIV status
Aug 5, 2004

Doctor,

My partner recently informed me that he had tested positive for HIV. This was extremely upsetting to me because we have had high risk sex. I tested about 4 weeks after our last high risk encounter using Oraquick and also had bloodwork done by my doctor. Results from both were negative/normal. One month later i tested again with oraquick and still the results are normal.

Since then i have been under extreme amounts of anxiety because I still have not reached the 3-month seroconversion period. While I understnad that this forum discourages doctors from providing advise/diagnosis, what are the chances I will still seroconvert? How do I reduce the anxiety in the meantime as it is affecting my work and relationships? (I no longer am involved with the partner previously mentioned, partly due to the situation at hand).

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your negative HIV tests at one and two months are very encouraging, but you are correct: a definitive result requires a three-month (or later) test. In fact, since we know you've had "high risk sex" with a partner now confirmed to be HIV positive, the CDC would recommend a follow-up six-month test for a definitive result.

To help with the anxiety of what might be called "window pains," I'd strongly recommend you seek counseling. It can be remarkably effective. I also suggest you read through the archives of this forum, as the testimonials there should be comforting for you.

We'll all send you our very best good-luck karma and we'll keep all fingers and toes crossed for you. Do write back with your three- and six-month results, so we'll be able to uncross our digits before severe cramping sets in.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Sleepless In Miami
Next
Can I finally WHOOO HOOO?????

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.