|PLEASE HELP INDETERMINANT WB w/P24 at 5 months.
Aug 5, 2004
you have already told me that I conclusively tested negative but I pressed my doc for a WB test to be sure. It came back indeterminant with P24 band reactive. The doc doesn't know what to do. I tested negative on Oraquick at 20 weeks, negative DNA at 13 weeks, negative bDNA at 10 weeks, negative RNA at 7 weeks, and negative Home Access out to 18 weeks. Doc is confused as I am too. I have read that P24 shows up first. Is it possible that I have just started to seroconvert at 5 months ???? Is there anything else that could cause a P24 band on the WB test? Please respond I know you don't like the hard questions but I am in serious need of advice. I think I am positive but can't prove it to get treatment.
| Response from Dr. Frascino
Well, you didn't listen to me last time, so I'm less than optimistic you will this time either, especially because "you think you are positive but can't prove it to get treatment."
I'll be blunt.
1. You are HIV negative.
2. You do not need or warrant HIV treatment, but do need psychiatric/psychological care to help you cope with your irrational fears.
3. The WB is a false positive result. This is exactly why WBs are not used for preliminary screening. A single-band WB with a negative ELISA means you are negative. You've already had excessive testing with DNA-PCR (13 weeks), branched-chain DNA (10 weeks), RNA-PCR (seven weeks), OraQuick (20 weeks), and Home Access (eight weeks). Your results are beyond conclusive and definitive. They are excessive.
4. HIV is not your problem Fear of HIV is!
5. Stop chasing a disease you can not possibly have and get treatment for an illness that you do undoubtedly have.
Mag, I do hope you'll follow my advice this time. Bring a copy of this post to your doctor and also to your first therapy session. Sharing this information with the therapist will help to focus your treatment.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- When Do You Get Tested For HIV After You Had Unprotected Sex?
- How Do You Catch HIV And How Long Does It Take For You To Catch It If Your Partner Has It?
- Does Herpes Show Up On Hiv Tests?
- When Donating Blood Does It Get Tested For Hiv?
- Long Term Side Effects Of Diflucan
- How Is Geographic Tongue Transmitted?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.