Expensive test a waste of time?

Dear Dr. Bob,

Last week in a moment of sheer stupidity I let a sex worker give me unprotected oral sex. About half way through I came to my senses and left without ejaculating.

Now I will definately take a test although from reading your fantastic responses I understand I am in the extremely low risk category.

My real question relates to the test itself. I have found a clinic in Harley Street London (I am visiting there next month) who say they will give me a proviral DNA test for the sum of about $550. They say it is accurate after 10-16 days of risk date. This seems like a lot of money doc! I do not mind if it is a definative result (the lab report they sent said 99.7% accurate...)

What would you do? Would I be wasting my money? I am unable to donate from my current location but give you my promise I will do so when in London.

Thanks so much for the work you do. You are an inspiration and example to all of us.

Yes, I totally agree with you. The $550 is an expensive waste of both time and money. PCR testing is not recommended for routine screening, due to false-positive test results. Your risk is indeed extremely, extremely low. If you are concerned, get an ELISA test in three months. That's all that's required and I certainly wouldn't spend much time worrying about the results, as the odds are astronomically in your favor that you'll be negative.

Stay well. Yes, I'm very confident you are indeed "well."

Thanks for your donation. It's warmly appreciated. I'll look forward to receiving your WOO-HOO as well.

every single symptom present, positive for sure
chicken pox vaccine