"Sin City"may have become much more...real stressed

Your column has given me some hope...maybe this whole ordeal has become a head versus health issue...Let me explain...

Exactly 70 days ago (I'm counting each hour!)..I was on a trip to Vegas with the boys...we had a good night at the tables and ended up with a few (paid) women in our room (first time ever)...The effects of alcohol were great...and one thing led to another...I had contact (vaginal intercourse) with one...condom was on, slipped down abit, but stayed on...

Returned home and 7 days after the incident, began having burning sensation on the inside of my thighs...Freaked out immediately because I went on the web, and thought I had contracted Genital Herpes.No sores ever appeared however... A few days later (appx 10 after the contact), I became extremely fatiqued (maybe because I was a nervous wreck)..had a strange headache etc...that lasted for about 1-2 weeks off and on.(I started thinking what if the condom actually had broke..I never checked it afterwards)..so, after the stress was too much,(at 15 days) I went to the Dr, told him the whole story....he tested for Gon, Chlamyd, and Hiv test..(bDNA)...we live in a small town in the middle of nowhere..not much HIV experience in the medical offices, so the Dr. doesn't deal with this sort of thing on a routine basis...(later I found out that the bDNA test was inappropriate for the circumstance)...but the result comes back neg according to the Dr....I read on and on ,on the net, and become more and more scared....then develop a strange tingling/itching/burning sensation in arms, legs and upper back...freakes me out even more...so I trot back to the Dr. and ask for a PCR test (qualitative) at 34 days...it comes back negative--Dr. says it is conclusive so not to worry....so for 24 hours I feel great...but then in about a day or so start to feel like crap again, and continue to read the great debate on the web antibody vs. PCR Testing...always tense, can't relax just feel generally strange...run to the bathroom to shine a flashlight in my mouth 10 times a day looking for sores etc...So, at 52 days, am on the road away from my family...purchase a Home Access Kit...do the test...it comes back negative...happy again for a day or so, and then my right testicle starts to hurt (like epididymitus which I have had before)continues for a few days... ....then my tongue turns white...not patches, just a light white film..go to the walk-in clinic, they say not thrush, just a white tongue....also 2 small dark red dots appear on the inside of my cheek...then go away after 2 days ...then a few days later, one appears on the other side...then disappears. At the same time, I get red/pink blotches on the palms of my hands...not raised..only under the skin...they go away if I raise my hand up, and reappear if my hands are at my sides...and a slight burning sensation goes along with this....I still have this...the Dr. says alcohol related and not to worry...well, I have stopped drinking completely...but still have the red/pink blotches I am now at 70 days...and haven't got a clue of what to do....I have had only protected sex with my wife since the incident however I have not told her about this at all... I'm a complete mess..can't concentrate, Dr. has perscribed alprazolam to help me sleep cause he thinks I'm nuts....so I really need your advice....

My questions are:

Are the blotches on the palms of my hands something that sound like an HIV related symptom...

If I had developed ARS at 7 days, should I have been positive on the PCR or the Antibody tests at 34 and 52 days respectively...

What do I do next???

My check is in the mail as well to your foundation...just by reading your responses, I have been able to complete another day without a complete meltdown...

Thanks for your help Doc...

You are wondering if this whole ordeal is a head or a health issue. Well perhaps it's a head health problem.

You had protected vaginal intercourse; consequently, your HIV risk should be essentially nonexistent if the latex condom was properly used and did not fail.

It seems you "freak" every time you go to the Web and search for information. I'm glad you finally found this site, which has prevented further "meltdown." So let's proceed to your specific questions:

1. Your blotches on your palms do not sound like HIV-related symptoms.

2. Most likely the PCR would have been positive on day 34 and 52, if you had contracted HIV. Although, I do not recommend PCR (or bDNA)for routine HIV screening.

3. What to do next? Well, it appears most of your problems are related to guilt and stress over your sin city "sin." I recommend telling your wife what happened. It's the best way to deal with your guilt. If you are worried about HIV, a single test at three months or more should provide you a definitive result. From what you've told me, that result will most likely be negative.

Counseling may help with your anxiety over this entire issue. It can do wonders for "head health!"

Thank you for your donation! It's warmly appreciated!

Good luck. Feel better.

Crazed Canuck... Please Help!!
One simple question