Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr Bob, my fnp is freaking me out!!!!!!!! Please help!!
Jul 31, 2004

Ok well first let me tell you about my situation. I went to the nurse today for something completely non-hiv related (Athlete's foot). I have constant worries about hiv and as ive seen on here before could be due to the guilt I am feeling for things I have done in the past. I took an HIV test last month (June 1) and the results were negative. I am currently in a monogamous relationship. He has only been with one other girl and used protection and also donated blood before our relationship. My significant other and I had sex for over a year unprotected with him ejaculating in me every time. We stopped having unprotected sex about 3 months before my HIV test and stopped having sex at all before 1 month of the same test. So I talked to the nurse today about my exposure risks for being with my past partners (all of which were over a year and a half ago) and she told me that one hiv test is not conclusive. So my questions are:

1) I had a negative test after a year and a half, would it really take longer than that for antibodies to show up? I mean I really don't think so but you are the great Dr Bob so I thought I would ask you.

2)If my boyfriend donated blood before our relationship and he was ok and the fact that we stopped having unprotected sex as of 3 months before my test would that also be enough time even if he were to have anything?

3) What would the odds be of being negative after having sex with someone for a year and a half and having them ejaculate in you 100+ times?

4) I've never been with anyone from Africa or that I KNOW has HIV, so would I need an HIV-2 TEST?

my nurse freaked me out .... pls help me DR BOB, THE GREAT ONE!!!!

-The worry wart

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Wart,

I think that family nurse practitioner (fnp) needs a bit more "practice" before she starts giving out test advice and making worried "wells" into worry "warts!" You are indeed "well," Ms. Wart.

To answer your specific questions:

1. No, anti-HIV antibodies generally are detectable within a few weeks. Since your risk was fairly minimal (your current boyfriend seems to be negative from all indirect indications and you've not had unprotected sex with him for three months), and considering your previous contacts were 1 years ago, I'd say your negative test is definitive. The only medical reason to repeat the test would be to calm your worries.

2. Yup!

3. The risk of HIV transmission is the same for each episode of unprotected sex. Someone could contract HIV with only a single exposure, just as someone can win the lottery with a single ticket. Each ticket has the same odds (risk) of winning.

4. No, I do not believe HIV-2 testing is needed.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV FROM MY GOLDFISH TANK!!!
Next
Another stripper story with a twist - Please help (9th time)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.