HIV Mosquitos

Hello, whoever is answering this question.. I'm 14 years old and have a LOT of worries.. So I have two questions!! Here's the first: Can you get HIV from swallowing a mosquito that sucked blood from a person who has it? (I swallowed some sort of bug while running through my yard today, and it's causing me to FREAK OUT ALOT!) and second, have you read It happened to Nancy? That book is SOOOOO SAD!! If you haven't you should, I mean you being an expert on HIV/AIDS and all. It's about a girl who's my age who get's HIV/AIDS and dies from it... I CRIED FROM IT!! OKay please answer ASAP so I can sleep well, knowing I didn't catch anything.. LISA

Hello Lisa,

First off, let me assure you that you cannot contract HIV from mosquitoes not be getting bitten by them nor by biting (and swallowing) them!!! Next, no, I haven't read "It Happened to Nancy" yet, but I'm glad you did. I encourage you to talk about what you've learned with your family and friends. HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention education are essential for everyone.

You might be surprised to learn that not only am I an HIV/AIDS expert, but that I, too, have HIV disease. I contracted the virus while performing a medical procedure on a patient in January 1991. Today there are 40 million people worldwide living with HIV/AIDS.

Don't be afraid of HIV. Just learn about HIV and the relatively simple ways to protect yourself, and you'll stay well. Now go to bed and get some sleep! It's way past your bedtime!

Response to "Friggin Fries"
ohhh YA! WHOO FREAKIN HOO