Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Mosquitos
Jul 27, 2004

Hello, whoever is answering this question.. I'm 14 years old and have a LOT of worries.. So I have two questions!! Here's the first: Can you get HIV from swallowing a mosquito that sucked blood from a person who has it? (I swallowed some sort of bug while running through my yard today, and it's causing me to FREAK OUT ALOT!) and second, have you read It happened to Nancy? That book is SOOOOO SAD!! If you haven't you should, I mean you being an expert on HIV/AIDS and all. It's about a girl who's my age who get's HIV/AIDS and dies from it... I CRIED FROM IT!! OKay please answer ASAP so I can sleep well, knowing I didn't catch anything.. LISA

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Lisa,

First off, let me assure you that you cannot contract HIV from mosquitoes not be getting bitten by them nor by biting (and swallowing) them!!! Next, no, I haven't read "It Happened to Nancy" yet, but I'm glad you did. I encourage you to talk about what you've learned with your family and friends. HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention education are essential for everyone.

You might be surprised to learn that not only am I an HIV/AIDS expert, but that I, too, have HIV disease. I contracted the virus while performing a medical procedure on a patient in January 1991. Today there are 40 million people worldwide living with HIV/AIDS.

Don't be afraid of HIV. Just learn about HIV and the relatively simple ways to protect yourself, and you'll stay well. Now go to bed and get some sleep! It's way past your bedtime!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Response to "Friggin Fries"
Next
ohhh YA! WHOO FREAKIN HOO

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.