Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Receptive fellatio and subsequent worrying symptom
Jul 21, 2004

Sehr Geehrter Herr Arzt Frascino, I am a male who has had a "one off" with another male nearly 3 weeks ago. He performed unprotected fellation upon me to point of ejaculation which occured in his mouth. There were no visible sores or blood in or around his mouth. His sero-status is unknown to me. He claimed that evening to be HIV negative. I chose to take the calculated risk. Bang on 2 weeks later to the very day I became nauseated and this has persisted for 5 days now. Also, I feel a bit dizzy and wobbly. To the point, I feel the gorge of panic rising and it's only through the loving and humorous slant of help on offer here (thanks to you and yours) that I'm staying somewhat cool. What say you Dr.? I know from the archives that this is low risk and my mind has played similar tricks on me in the past. Should I test? Should I worry? Vielen dank,

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

To test or not is a very personal decision that only you can make. The best I can do is reinforce what you apparently already know: That oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission.

Your "bang on two weeks" symptoms of nausea, dizziness, and feeling wobbly are not at all concerning to me and not suggestive of HIV seroconversion (ARS). That your mind has played similar tricks on you in the past and that you feel the "gorge of panic rising" would lead me to strongly suspect that HIV is not your problem.

I speak several languages, but unfortunately German isn't one of them. So, . . . I'll just say, "Gesundheit," and assume you have sneezed sometime recently! OK?

Stay well. Stop worrying.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Two Sexual Encounters
Next
Thank you for the work you doso

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.