Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

worried female in florida (home of elian, messy elections, and cuban coffee)
Jul 21, 2004

hello dr. bob! first off, i want to thank you for your work. you are wonderful and i wish you all the best.

i went to a kerry/edwards rally the other day here in south florida. lots of young peopel there, like me, and i got a renewed sense of hope. just today, i read in the paper that Bush is trying to push through initiatives in sex education that state that condoms are not entirely effective in preventing transmission of HIV. I know that's false, and that further validated my fears of his reelection.

anyway, i have a quick question which i hope you would answer. i know tons of info from this site, but you say answers to questions can vary depending on the situation, so here's mine:

i am female, and had unprotected sex with a man around Jan. 4, 2004. there was no ejaculation though. i do not know the status of this man.On April 1, 2004 i went to Planned Parenthood and had a rapid blood test, which turned out to be negative. i have been having tons of anxiety still, and wonder if you think it is needed to go back for a six month test. i dont know if i can handle the whole process again. i havent had any symptons of anything, but i know that doesn't mean one is not infected. please answer me. i want to be able to sleep better at night and i leave for ireland this month to study abroad, and would love to be able to relax and not worry over anything. i waited for three months to get tested, but does my possible exporse warrant another confirmation? thanks ahead of time and i really hope you respond. i am trying not to sound silly and beg here :) i want to donate to your organization and will do what i can to make sure my state doesnt make a mess of the next election. thanks. always, worried in florida

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried in Florida,

With Jeb as governor and all those shenanigans about keeping Afro-Americans and others who might vote against Dubya from voting (the phony felon list, etc.), you may be "worried in Florida," but I'm "worried about Florida!" Hopefully you won't be duped by that dope again!

OK, on to your question. I would consider a negative Planned Parenthood rapid blood test at three months definitive in your situation. Whether to retest is, of course, totally up to you. I don't feel it's necessary or warranted. However, that said, it may be the quickest way to relive your "tons of anxiety." That would be the only purpose I can see in reconfirming what you should already know!

Thank you for your donation. It will be used to provide crucial services to men, women, and children living with HIV/AIDS. Thank you also for helping to kick Bush's butt all the way back to Texas.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
"Conservative" with a question about receptive oral and NO documented reports
Next
Bumps on Uvula (please, will donate)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.