"Conservative" with a question about receptive oral and NO documented reports

Hello Dr. Frascino, Yes, I am a conservative, and yes, although heavily one sided, fahrenheit 911 did have some interesting points. Now onto my question: I've read many of the postings and have found that there have been NO documented cases of HIV being transmitted through receptive oral sex. So does this make receptive oral sex a theoretical risk? Thanks alot for your time and vote wise in November my good man... haha

-Sean-

Hello Sean,

The key word here is "documented." There certainly have been "reported" cases of HIV transmission via oral sex. But how does one scientifically "document" that transmission actually occurred via this route. Did the person claiming to be infected via oral sex forget about the bachelor party years ago when things with the bodelicious Striperalla got "out of hand" (so to speak) without a condom? See the problem?

So conservative Sean, what we have are the results of large epidemiological studies of folks having oral sex with HIV-positive partners. Those studies clearly indicate that oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission. (Otherwise, there would have been a higher percentage of folks testing positive over the course of the study.) If you want to call this low risk "theoretical," that's up to you. I'm only here to report the scientific facts.

As for voting wisely in November, I certainly will. The question is: Will you?

A light at the end of the tunnel
worried female in florida (home of elian, messy elections, and cuban coffee)