still worried after all this time

Dear Dr ROB Really enjoy your web site and many thanks for all the wonderful work you do. Can I also say how cute you look in your picure(I am 100% straight. honest) I have two questions which I will be gratefull if you can answer for me. I had unprotected vaginal sex with a girl 14 years ago in a one night stand. I have never been tested and I feel ok, but lately I started thinking about that encounter and I am beyond myself with worry.would I have known by now if I had been infected? Second question, why is it that after 20 yrs and billions of dollars spent on hiv aids,the world has not been able to defeat this monster. Is it due to insufficient funding or is it simply down to scientific limitations in your opinion? Doc,I agree with you,let's get Kerry in. Bush spent over 100 billion dollars and counting of Americain tax payers money and many lives on both sides just in order to arrest one brutal dictator.Would you agree that money would have been better spent finding a cure for a disease that affects all of humanity. May God bless you An admirer of yours from north africa

Hello admirer from North Africa,

Thanks for your thanks and "cute" compliment!

The only way for anyone to definitively determine if they've contracted HIV following a potential exposure (such as unprotected sex) is to get HIV tested. That said, would it be likely for HIV symptoms to become manifest, if you've been HIV positive for 14 years? Yes, most likely there would be some symptoms. However, the bottom line is quite straight forward. If you've had a potential risk and are worried, get tested!

Next, it is true that "scientific limitations" may have been the major problem two decades ago; however, "defeating the HIV monster" today is intimately linked with insufficient funding. I should also add that many, if not all scientific limitations, can be surmounted by sufficient dedication of resources, brain power, and talent.

Finally, should we have been fighting the terror of HIV rather than an unjust war? Abso-frickin'-lutely!

Yes, may God (whoever he or she may be) bless us all.

Safer Oral Sex?
My final woooooohooo is coming !