Safer Oral Sex?

Dr. Bob, I have asked this question before but thought I would try again since I haven't found an answer yet. Is oral sex without putting the head of the penis in your mouth significantly safer? I am very safety conscious and the most risky thing I have done since testing negative for HIV a year ago is licking and sucking a guy's shaft and balls. At the time I did it, I believed this was rather safe since there was no ejaculation and so far as I know I avoided getting pre-cum in my mouth. However, much of the safe sex literature seems to indicate that the only way to have oral sex safely is with a condom. So what is the real risk here. And if this is low risk for HIV, what about other STDs. I am feeling some anxiety about this and I know I can't be the only one who worries about this.

Since I've covered this information previously (check the archives!), I'll be brief.

Oral sex carries a very low risk of HIV transmission. Contact with intact skin, whether it be on the knee cap, big toe, or shaft and balls, carries no risk for HIV transmission.

Pre-cum has been demonstrated to contain HIV; however, there are no documented cases of HIV transmission from oral-pre-cum contact.

Some STDs, such as, herpes or syphilis, can be transmitted by oral contact with an infected area, which could include the shaft and/or balls. If you are concerned about STDs, your general medical doctor or local public health clinic can screen you.

Spend some time reviewing the information on this site and related links. Hopefully it will allay your fears. If you have additional questions not already covered in the archives, do write back, OK?

Stay well.

Begging for help .... getting married in 4 months
still worried after all this time