Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO WOO HOO
Jul 20, 2004

Doc,

I experienced horrible ARS during the two to eight weeks post exposure, inlcuding night sweats, diarhea, rash on arms, tingling/burning sensations on arms and back etc... I never had a fever or nausea but I am sure this was HIV. I tested negative on Elisa at 3,6,9,11, and 16 weeks. Negative on PCR-RNA at 6; branched DNA at 11 and PCR-DNA at 16. My symptoms other than eye floaters and continuing eye infections have pretty much gone away, though I still have a severe anxious feeling throughout my body. I have heard that I may be a late sero and may need to test at 6 months for the virus to be found. Is this true? Can I whoo hooo or should I wait the twelve months for the year test ?

PLEASE RESPOND - You are my only hope.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You've had negative ELISAs at three, six, nine, 11, and 16 weeks, a negative PCR-RNA at six weeks, a negative branched-DNA at 11 weeks, a negative PCR-DNA at 16 weeks, and you ask, "Will I every be able to WOO-HOO?" That's an excellent question! Will you???? What part of "you are HIV negative" are you having difficulty understanding? Your HIV testing to date has been excessive. ELISA testing prior to three months is not considered definitive, so let's throw out your three-week, six-week, nine-week, and 11-week results. Next, PCR-RNA, branched-chain DNA, and PCR-DNA tests are not recommended for routine HIV screening, so I'll throw those out as well. That leaves us with a negative ELISA at 16 weeks. I would consider this test definitive. I also would suggest the "sever anxious feeling throughout your body" is due to anxiety, not HIV.

Do you need more HIV testing? No.

Do you need treatment and counseling for anxiety? Yes.

Am I really your "only hope?" I certainly "hope" not!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Humbly applying for X-file admission
Next
Begging for help .... getting married in 4 months

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.