Long time reader first time writer

Dear Dr. Bob

First and foremost I want to thank you for helping me through my difficult times wondering if I was infected with HIV. Your site I can truly say keep me from pulling the trigger due to my suicidal tendicies. My exposure was unprotected oral from a woman of unknown status, yes a stripper. My so called friends thought it would be funny if she preformed on me while I was passed out drunk at a Bachelor Party. Yes I experienced all the symptoms and had a Elisa test at 6 weeks (negative) and at 91 days and negative also. Needless to say I was relieved. It has now been 8 months sinse possible exposure and I still have thoughts of possibly being infected. My tongue yes still white, turns white hours after scrapping and brushing so I assume its not thrush, and I am experiencing light headiness now and also have what appears to be 3 light redish marks on my back that have lingered for over a month now, do these symptoms sound suggestive of hiv at 8 months. Should I just get past this nonsense of thinking that I may be infected, or should I waste the money being tested again as I would prefer the money go to treating those who are indeed infected. Like I said I had the test done at 91 days and I have read my times that it is a definate, Doc what do you think. Thanks donation on the way.

Hello Longtime Reader First Time Writer,

What you read is indeed correct! Your negative HIV results at three months are indeed definitive. Further HIV testing is neither indicated nor warranted, let alone necessary.

As a longtime reader, you probably are well aware that 1) oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission, 2) HIV tests performed three months or more after a potential exposure are considered definitive, and 3) symptoms, no matter what they are, do not equal HIV disease.

If you are having symptoms, see your general medical doctor to determine their cause. One thing that's for certain: The cause is not HIV! If you are having difficultly "getting past this nonsense of thinking that you may be infected," ask your doctor for a referral for some counseling.

Thank you for your kind words and your donation!

Feel better.

Do I need another test?
from Izmir/I just need some couraging words to get tested