Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

expired condoms myths
Jul 12, 2004

hi recently had an encounter with a pro.. fully protected including oral sex but am afraid of condom failure cos she is very rough on me

anyway we used the first condom which i took on and off.... the second condom is hers which she kept in her hand bag....

i am worried weather that condom is deffective or expired.... done a rapid test on 3 weeks( those 20 min tests hope their accurate) and now coming down with flu, fever body aches and the whole acute hiv infection stuff...

desperately need advice thankx

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

If a condom failed, you would definitely know it. It's not a subtle occurrence. When a condom pops, the stretched latex tears like a broken balloon and Mr. Happy comes shining through. I think you would have noticed this, right?

Next, what makes you think a "pro" would have expired, or "deffective" condoms in her handbag? Dude, she's a pro. Wouldn't it make sense that her condoms wouldn't really have a chance to expire? It's not like we're talking about the condom Ashcroft has secretly carried around in his wallet since 10th grade, hoping to one day get lucky. A pro probably knows more about condoms and the importance of protecting herself than you do.

So assuming the condoms did not fail, despite the rough treatment (does that cost extra?), I'd assume your HIV risk is essentially nonexistent. Yes, FDA-approved rapid tests can give results within 20 minutes and are accurate. However, remember HIV tests, no matter how reliable, are not considered definitive until at least three months after the potential exposure.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
bed sheet with bodily fluids
Next
A New Reason to Start Atkins

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.