Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

YOU ASKED FOR IT NOW HERE IT IS: WOOOOHOOOO!--Must read for all!
Jul 11, 2004

Divine Dr. Bob,

Remember me? The scared MN HIV-Phobe? Well I got my test results on Friday July 2nd and just like you said, they were negative. After months of oral ulcers, various skin rashes, and fatigue, I was finally able to face my fears with your help. You are a valuable asset to the community in so many ways Dr. Frascino. My repeated unprotected sexual endeavors allowed me to learn a great deal about myself. And for anyone who believes that heterosexual white males stereotypically do not become infected with HIV through sexual contact better be careful because I believed the same thing. "Oh I'm straight, I've never injected drugs, paid for sex, or had several partners so I don't need a condom." That was my attitude until the sex was over, then the HIV fears get very real. NEWS FLASH HETERO WHITE MEN, YOU TOO CAN GET HIV. It hit very close to home for me, and although I am not infected I realize that I very easily could have been through unprotected vaginal sex with a female whose history I did not know until I freaked out and asked her.

I am a lucky one. In fact, I am one of the luckiest men in this world. I thank Dr. Robert Frascino for his work, and for all of you thinking about getting tested: DO IT! I waited in a state of panic for a period of 1 year and 3 months before I got tested because I was in no hurry to find out my supposedly positive result (I am NEGATIVE YES!). During this period my anxiety was so bad I could not pay attention to anything, my grades slipped, and luckily I have been able to regain my composure (with the help of Paxil: I have anxiety disorder and severe hypochondria). Please just get tested because not knowing is ten times worse than knowing even if you are positive because you can receive treatment, and you can live for a long time. GET THE TEST.

Wishing everyone a long and fulfilling life, The Scared Minnesotan

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Scared Minnesotan!

Thanks for taking the time to write in and share your story. WOO-HOO! Ya, sure, ya betcha!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
The whole double negative thing
Next
besoin de réconfort

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.